Planning a Surprise Proposal in Edinburgh
Planning a surprise proposal can be a thrilling and nerve-wracking adventure. If you've chosen the enchanting city of Edinburgh as your backdrop, you're in for a truly memorable experience. The city is a fusion of history & architecture, making it an ideal setting for a romantic proposal. Let's dive into how to create a magical surprise proposal in Scotland's capital.
1. Select the Perfect Location: Edinburgh is brimming with enchanting locations that could serve as the perfect backdrop for your proposal. Calton Hill is a firm favourite for many couples, and as a photographer I know the perfect spots on the hill for the best views, and most privacy. The ever popular & Instagram-famous Circus Lane is also a great location, offering a beautiful setting for an intimate event. Or why not choose the backdrop of Edinburgh Castle, and get down on one knee on the steps of The Vennel? If you are looking for a more private setting, then somewhere along the Water of Leith, especially near Dean Village, is a fantastic choice, or take a hike up Arthur's Seat or to St Anthony's Chapel in Holyrood Park.
2. Plan the Logistics: Once you've chosen the location, it's time to iron out the details. If you're planning an outdoor proposal, consider the weather and the time of day. Edinburgh can be windy and chilly, even in the summer, so have a backup plan in case the weather turns sour. If you're proposing in a public place, be mindful that it might not be as private as you might like. Sunset proposals are very popular, but you'll want to plan to get down on one knee maybe 60-30 mins before sundown, not only to make the most of your post-proposal photography, but to ensure you get the best light. Low cloud can bring forward sunset by a few minutes, meaning if you plan to propose at sundown then all the best lighting of golden hour has gone. Always allow for a little more time than you think you might need to arrive at your location - especially when hiring a photographer to capture the moment for you. Any delays, such as train delays, may stress you out and that's not what you want to experience just before the most important event of your relationship.
3. Plan for the unexpected. When you are trying to get your partner to go to a certain place by a certain time, you'll want to ensure that things run smoothly but without being too suspicious. So contrive a reason for you to be in the place by a certain time - whether Calton Hill for the best views at sunset, or Circus Lane for a booking at a nearby pub, make up a logical reason you need to be at your proposal spot - and one that your partner can't decide against at the last minute.
4. Enlist Help: This is where I come in as your photographer. Part of my planning process is to guide you through the steps, and to provide solutions to problems you may not have actively been aware of. That might be the time of day you are proposing, or even the time of year - such as road closures during the Fringe. You'll also want a friend or two to help you, such as a friend suggesting to your partner to visit the Water of Leith during the afternoon as that's the best time of day. Having a friend or two in on the big secret also helps you calm your nerves before hand, as you'll have someone to talk to about what you have planned.
5. Plan a Celebration: After the proposal, you'll want to celebrate this significant moment. This could be as simple as a romantic dinner at one of Edinburgh's fine dining restaurants or a surprise engagement party with close friends and family. If you are new to Edinburgh and need any suggestions for restaurants or cocktail bars, just let me know and I'll provide you with a list of the top romantic locations.
6. Stay Calm and Enjoy: It's easy to get caught up in the planning and forget to enjoy the moment. Remember, no matter how perfectly you plan, there may be unexpected occurrences. What truly matters is the love you share and the commitment you're making. Just try not to forget the ring!
Planning a surprise proposal in Edinburgh, with its captivating history and beautiful landscapes, is a wonderful choice. With careful planning, it's going to be one beautiful moment that you'll never forget. And if you've booked a photographer to capture the moment as it happens, then you are going to have some wonderful memories to look back on.
Feeling inspired? Head over to my Surprise Proposal Package and get yourself booked in!