Favourite Edinburgh Wedding Venues
Edinburgh offers one of the most unique locations to get married, with a diverse range of wedding venues that are perfect for couples looking for that authentic Scottish wedding experience. As an Edinburgh Wedding Photographer, these amazing venues are right in my backyard and I'm lucky enough to return to them year after year. Take a look through some of my favourite Edinburgh Wedding Venues below for some wedding planning inspiration.
Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh
Each year I come back, I fall in love with this venue all over again
As a recommended supplier at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh, I'm lucky enough to return here several times a year. Each season offers something really unique, and of course every couples bring something special as well. There are several ceremony locations in the gardens, but by far my favourite is the John Muir Grove. Made up of several huge giant sequoias, you are instantly transported to the wild temperate rainforests of the west Coast of North America. After the ceremony you can have your reception at the Caledonian Hall and access to the Alpine Gardens for some photos. We can also venture further a field for some gorgeous couples shots down by the Chinese Pavilion. This is definitely one of my favourite Edinburgh wedding venues for sure!
- Surrounded by so much nature & colour
- Scenery changes with the seasons
- Afterhours couples photos at sunset are a MUST
Things to consider:
- Transport to / from the venue needs to be considered - I'd suggest arriving in style with a classic car or a vintage bus.
- It's a very outdoor-centric venue - so if it's torrential rain there's not the same potential for indoor couples / group shots as there would be at a Castle in the countryside.
Possible the most iconic castle in all of Scotland, this is one of the most amazing venues to get married at. It's actually perfect for smaller weddings as well, despite its grand size and powerful presence over the city of Edinburgh.
As another venue I'm recommended supplier at, my favourite ceremony space is the Gatehouse, because you have your own private terrace for the afternoon with some of the best views in Edinburgh. The Gatehouse isn't usually accessible to the public, so you'll feel like a proper VIP guest in the castle. Once the ceremony is over we'll also have the opportunity to walk around the Castle itself for some beautiful shots beside the cannons and overlooking Princes Street Gardens and New Town.
- Private terrace with the gatehouse
- Unique views of Edinburgh for your wedding photography
- An iconic wedding venue sure to impress
Things to Consider
- Smaller weddings may require a separate evening reception location
- There's no on-site accommodation, but there's plenty options nearby
- During summer season it can be really busy, and from late July-August there are no dates available at all due to the Festival & Military Tattoo.
The Signet Library
One of my favourite venues along the Royal Mile, The Signet Library is a hidden gem
The Signet Library has the grandest events rooms in Edinburgh, I suspect. Situated just across from St Giles' Cathedral, you really are in the heart of the city centre. It offers a huge capacity, and exclusive access across both floors with the beautiful sweeping staircase linking the two. Combine that with some cool urban couples photos along the Royal Mile and you have a winner.
- THAT staircase
- THAT events space
- sneaky secret vantage points for me as a photographer
Things to Consider:
- As a city centre location, if you're after sweeping lawns and oak trees you'll be hard-pressed to find some greenery in amongst the baronial architecture of the Royal Mile
Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh
Prepare to drop your jaw....
The Royal College of Physicians (RCPE) is one of those awesome wedding venues that you never forget. Get your bridal prep on in the Cullen Suite which offers huge space to get ready with your bridesmaids. Added bonus of beautiful windows for those all important pre-ceremony photos. The New Library has a wonderful, intimate feel to it and the Great Hall is the perfect place to dance the night away with its huge - and I mean huge - ceilings. Seriously, you won't regret getting married here!
- Access to Queen Street Gardens for your couples photos (adding a lovely bit of greenery to your photographs)
Things to Consider:
- Transport to/from the venue as there's no overnight accommodation on site
A country estate in the heart of Edinburgh
No doubt you'll fall in love with Prestonfield House the second you see it. A beautiful driveway with a stunning entrance and huge lawns - Prestonfield is the gift that keeps on giving. Every time I work here there's something different and new to explore. Enjoy an outdoor ceremony in the grounds during summer underneath some gloriously massive trees followed by an intimate meal in one of their wonderful dining rooms.
- Summer ceremonies underneath the massive trees
- Raven the cat
- Amazing backdrops for your couples photos
Things to Consider:
- The peacocks will photobomb you and they know exactly what they are doing