Top 10 Edinburgh Wedding Venues
Edinburgh, the charming capital of Scotland, is rich in history, culture, and breath-taking landscapes, making it a dream location for any couple planning to tie the knot. Here, I will take you through a curated list of the top 10 wedding venues in Edinburgh, detailing the unique benefits each place offers. We will also explore the styles and themes you can adopt to craft a memorable wedding day at these spectacular locations.
1. Edinburgh Castle: The epitome of fairy-tale romance, Edinburgh Castle provides an unforgettable backdrop for your big day. The benefit of this venue is its rich history and grandeur that promise a royal style wedding. The castle's Great Hall, Queen Anne Room, and St Margaret's Chapel offer versatile settings for both your ceremony and reception. My personal favourite is hte Gatehouse, which sports its own private terrace above the Castle's entrance with views across Edinburgh, including Arthur's Seat and the Pentlands.
2. The Signet Library: The Signet Library boasts an air of refined elegance. Its grand, opulent interior and stunning architecture are perfect for a classic, sophisticated wedding. The Upper Library, with its soaring ceilings and colossal columns, can accommodate a large number of guests in an atmosphere of style and grace.
3. The Balmoral: A luxury hotel in the heart of Edinburgh, the Balmoral combines a classic setting with modern amenities. Whether you prefer a grand ballroom reception or an intimate rooftop ceremony with views of the castle, this venue is versatile enough to cater to your style.
4. The Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh: one of the best outdoor wedding venues in Edinburgh, you'll have the chance to marry under the giant sequioas of the John Muir Grove before enjoying a champagne reception outside the Caledonian Hall. There's so many gorgeous locations for your couples wedding photography around the gardens, from the waterfall in the Alpine Garden to the Chinese Pavillion and all the greenery & vibrant colourful spaces in between.
5. Riddles Court: A unique & hidden gem of a wedding venue in Edinburgh. If you are looking for a wedding venue steeped in history with gorgeous architectural details, then Riddles Court is definitely worth considering. It's a small to medium sized wedding venue and is hidden away on the Royal Mile. There's on-site accommodation in the King's Chamber, with gorgeous original detail ceilings, a private courtyard, and 3 gorgeous rooms of varying sizes that are perfect for your ceremony or drinks reception. Your wedding photography will have a more of an urban style to it, with chances to visit Victoria Street and Victoria Terrace, New College or jump in a cab to get some colour & greenery by heading to Princes Street Gardens.
6. Fingal: All aboard one of the most unique wedding venues in Edinburgh. If you love the sea, then you'll be blown over by Fingal, Scotland's first floating hotel. Marry under the dazzling gold ceiling of the ballroom, with it's gorgeous symmetrical split staircase. Enjoy champagne in the bar for your reception, with access to the deck for photos. You'll also have a chance to walk above the old engine room of this decommissioned ship, and even stay in the Skerryvore suite with its own private deck too.
7. Carlowrie Castle: it's iconic central turret is one any engaged couple on the hunt for their wedding venue will be familiar with. Covered in ivy that's a brilliant vermillion red in the late summer & autumn, it's a showstopping location for sure. As gorgeous as it's exteriors are, the interiors have more of a modern flair, with bright & vibrant decor as well as a beautifil pavillion that's perfect for indoor ceremonies and wedding breakfasts. The grounds are lush with flowers, a walled garden and a romantic swing that are wonderful settings for your wedding portraits.
8. The Caledonian Hotel: owned by the Waldorf Astoria Group, this hotel is steeped in history and once was part of the old Princes Street Railway Station. There's lots of architectural remnants of the old concorse and layout, as well as nods to its history throughout. It's one of the grandest hotels in Edinburgh, a rival to The Balmoral. As a city centre wedding venue, it's got a sweeping staircase ideal for whole group shots, gorgeous solo bridal photos before the ceremony as well as a truly magnificent dining room that suits larger weddings. For couples wanting more of a city vibe to their wedding photography, Princes Street Gardens are a 2 min walk, and there's also private access to the Rutland Square Gardens for a more intimate couples portrait session.
9. The Royal College of Physicians: A hidden gem in the heart of the New Town, this is a gorgeous wedding venue that's perfect for couples wanting a romantic but classic & elegant atmosphere. Enjoy an intimate ceremony in the library and party the night away under the tall & ornate ceilings of the Great Hall. You'll have access to the Queen Street gardens for your wedding photographs too - and it's well worth a trip up to Calton Hill for sunset if you fancy capturing a little more of the city into your portraits. Heading to the steps by The Dome is a must at Christmas.
10. Prestonfield House: all the feel of a quiet country estate in the heart of Edinburgh city. No Edinburgh wedding venue list could be complete with a mention of Prestonfield House - known for its roaming peacocks, views of Arthur's Seat and fine dining, it's a prime location for your perfect day. Whether it's a small intimate ceremony, or a larger celebration, Prestonfield is setup to cater for all. During the spring & summer months, an outdoor ceremony underneath the tall trees is a must, especially during blossom season. It's interiors are gorgeous too, with a roaring fire in the Whisky Room during the winter and the Garden Room providing a lovely setting and outdoor courtyard for your drinks reception. Your wedding photography opportunities are endless here, with plenty of nature & greenery around, as well as lovely architecture and indoor spaces.
Each venue in Edinburgh offers its own charm and unique benefits, enabling you to create a wedding day that reflects your style and vision. Whether you prefer a historic castle, a modern hotel, or a tranquil garden, Edinburgh has it all. The city's diverse offerings ensure that every couple can find the perfect venue for their dream wedding.